Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make your Home Page

Page Title: Short, Excess, or Damaged Shipments
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



that  this  type  of  receipt  should  be  handled  just as  though  the  merchandise  had  been  physically routed   through   the   bulk   storeroom.   The   only basic  difference  in  the  routing  procedure  is  that the retail store operator or the Ship’s Serviceman in  charge  of  that  service  activity  should acknowledge receipt and custody on a copy of the receipt   document.   However,   the   recordskeeper should post and file this copy just as though the merchandise   had   been   received   in   the   bulk storeroom. The  recordskeeper  should  also  assign  an intrastore  transfer  number  from  the  Number  Con- trol  Log  (NAVSUP  980)  to  a  second  copy  of  the receipt   document   rather   than   preparing   an Intrastore  Transfer  Data  (NAVSUP  973)  form. The retail store operator or service activity custo- dian  should  then  sign  the  second  copy  of  the receipt document. The recordskeeper should post the  second  copy  as  a  breakout  to  the  Financial Control  Record  (NAVSUP  235)  and  the  Stock Record  (NAVSUP  464).  Then  the  recordskeeper should  file  the  second  copy  in  the  ship’s  store officer’s   Accountability   File.   In   a   combined operation,  of  course,  a  second  copy  of  the  pro- curement  document  would  not  be  required. Short, Excess, or Damaged Shipments As   mentioned   above,   both   you   (as   the authorized  inspector)  and  the  storeroom  custo- dian  should  carefully  inspect  the  shipment  for quantity  and  condition.  If  factory-packed  cases appear  to  be  unopened,  you  can  accept  the quantity  shown  on  the  outside  of  the  container. However, you should always check any repacked cases and containers that have been taped shut. Both  you  and  the  storeroom  custodian  should record  any  discrepancies  that  appear  in  either quantity  or  condition  on  your  respective  copies of  the  procurement  document. FROM   OTHER   SUPPLY   OFFICERS (O.S.O.).— If  the  amount  of  merchandise  received from another supply officer is short of the amount shown on the receipt document, you can sign only for  the  quantity  you  have  actually  received.  If merchandise   from   another   supply   officer   is damaged, you can sign only for the quantity you actually  received  that  was  in  acceptable  condition. However, because the material is already in the Navy  Stock  Account  (NSA)  and  your  ship  has already   been   charged   for   the   amount   on   the receipt  document,  the  recordskeeper  must  take  up the full value of the receipt document on the ship’s records.  You  should  expend  the  shortage  by survey  from  the  Navy  Stock  Fund  (NSF).  You should  then  forward  an  information  copy  of  the survey  document  to  the  issuing  activity. But  what  should  you  do  when  you  receive  a shipment of merchandise that is in excess of the amount  shown  on  the  receipt  document?  Again, you should sign only for the quantity of stock that you  have  actually  received.  To  account  for  the excess  stock,  the  recordskeeper  should  prepare and  post  a  DD  1149  marked  Gain  by  Excess Receipt.  You  should  make  certain  a  copy  of  the Gain  by  Excess  Receipt  invoice  is  sent  to  the issuing   activity   for   information   and   for   other action  as  deemed  necessary. FROM   PURCHASE.—   For   receipts   from commercial sources, you should sign only for the quantity of merchandise you received that was in acceptable  condition.  The  recordskeeper  should post  this  quantity  to  the  ship’s  records.  If  there is a difference in quantity, you should notify the vendor  as  soon  as  possible  and  request  a  corrected dealer’s  bill.  Other  arrangements  can  be  made, such  as  replacements  for  damaged  merchandise or fills for shortages, but these arrangements must be done before the completion of the receipt docu- ment. If the corrected dealer’s bill is not received within 10 days or before the ship’s departure, the incorrect dealer’s bill should be processed for pay- ment.  The  paying  office  will  pay  only  that  part of the bill that agrees with the certified purchase document. Dealers’ bills not subject to discounts will  be  forwarded  for  payment  within  10  days from the date of the receipt of the material or the dealer’s  bill,  whichever  is  later. Receipts of Partial Shipments On  occasion,  you  may  receive  a  shipment  of merchandise that will only partially complete an outstanding  order  or  requisition.  You  may  also suspect that the remainder of the shipment will arrive  at  some  future  date.  For  example,  the invoice  contained  in  the  partial  shipment  may show that the remainder of the order will be sent later.  In  cases  like  these,  you  should  mark Partial  Shipment  on  the  receipt  document  and show  the  quantities  that  you  received.  You  should then  process  the  receipt  in  the  regular  manner. You  should  use  additional  copies  of  the  receipt document  for  processing  all  subsequent  receipts of  the  remaining  items  of  the  shipment.  (You should  use  a  new  receiving  number  from  the Journal  of  Receipts  [NAVSUP  977]  for  each 5-3

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc. - A (SDVOSB) Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business