easier to initiate. Referral sources are important. More
important than who you ask for referrals, though, is
how you ask for them. Well discuss both sources and
technique in the following paragraphs.
Virtually anyone can become a source of referrals.
All you have to do is ask. Some sources, however, will
have more frequent contact with the quality market you
are looking for.
DEP PERSONNEL. Your best sources of referrals
are personnel in the DEP. They have already decided to
go Navy and can have considerable influence with their
peers. Some may readily provide referrals but most will
need some motivating toward that end. The Delayed
(DEP) Leadership Manual,
COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1133.7, provides informa-
tion on establishing a written DEP advancement plan
based on referrals. There are also a variety of Who do
you know? sheets that help to trigger the DEP
members memory when providing referrals. Figure 6-2
WHO DO YOU KNOW?
This is a good referral generating exercise to use at delayed entry program (DEP) meetings or anytime you have a DEP
member who has trouble thinking of people to refer. Use five or six questions from the list at a time. After the DEP members have
provided names, let them know that these names could be the starting point you need to start working for them to help them reach
their referral/advancement goal. Blueprint to find out if the names can be bona fide referrals. Besides qualifying questions, ask about
their plans, interests, and hobbies. Use your imagination to add to the list. Some questions identify physical or mental attributes,
benefit needs, and others are just for fun and memory jogging. Good luck and have fun with it.
1. Who is your best friend? Worst enemy?
2. Who was the best student in math class? Science class?
3. Who was the best all-around athlete in your graduating class? Class clown?
4. Who sat in front of you in English class? Behind you?
5. Who drives a red car? A car that needs to be painted?
6. Who is the best auto mechanic?
7. Who is the smartest person you know? Strongest?
8. Who do you know that works in a hardware store? An auto parts store? A gas station?
9. Who do you know that works in a fast-food store?
10. Who is the best dressed person you know?
11. Who is the best baseball player? Basketball player? Football player?
12. Who has the fastest car? Best-looking car?
13. Who has the biggest dog? Strangest pet?
14. Who owns a motorcycle? A four-wheeler?
15. Who has a parent that is retired military? On the police force? Unemployed? Working in a factory?
16. Who has red hair?
17. Who do you know that bags groceries? Delivers pizza?
18. Who do you know that plays chess?
19. Who is the best video game player? Pool player? Bowler?
20. Who is starting to get a receding hairline?
21. Who took welding in VOTECH? Electronics?
22. Who wants to go to college but thinks its unaffordable?
23. Who dropped out or is not going back to college?
24. Who is the best shot with a pistol, rifle, or shotgun?
25. Who is the best swimmer? Wrestler? Weight lifter?
26. Who has a flag flying in front of their house?
27. Who likes to hunt? Fish? Go camping?
28. Who do you know that has been to Hawaii? Europe?
29. Who owns a CB radio? Corvette? Personal computer?
30. Who likes to scuba dive? Skydive? Race cars or bikes?
31. Who has or is getting a pilots license?
32. Who is looking for a job?
33. Who has complained about making minimum wage? Boring jobs?
Figure 6-2.Who do you know? - referral sheet.