Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make your Home Page

Page Title: Academic Credit for Navy Training and Work Experiences
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



selection board.  Some of the opportunities for which Navy members are eligible are as follows: Associate,  bachelor,  and  graduate  degree programs Vocational and technical certificates High  school  diploma  or  general  education development (GED) equivalency certificate Financial assistance for educational programs Tests to gain college admission, receive college credit, or obtain national certification Educational  advice  from  professionals (education specialists and guidance counselors) Educational opportunities that will open doors to advancement, including various commissioning programs Q3.    Personnel  in  paygrades  E-3  through  E-5  who earn  either  an  associate  and/or  a  bachelor’s degree while on active duty, can also earn what for advancement? ACADEMIC CREDIT FOR NAVY TRAINING AND WORK EXPERIENCES Navy personnel may receive academic credit from civilian  schools  for  certain  Navy  training  and  work experiences. These include the following: Service schools that are at least 45 contact hours Job experience in the individual’s Navy rating Limited  duty  officer  (LDO)  or  chief  warrant officer (CWO) specialties Certain  Navy  Enlisted  Classification  (NEC) codes  that  have  been  evaluated  and  recom- mended for college credit The longer people remain in the Navy, the more educational credits they can build. Navy  members  can  make  their  academic  credits “pay off” at an educational institution.  In such cases, Navy  College  Office  counselors  can  recommend where  personnel  can  use  those  credits  to  the  best advantage. To help personnel learn how much credit they may earn  for  their  military  courses  and  job  experience, ESOs should refer to the  Guide to the Evaluation of Educational  Experiences  in  the  Armed  Services. Published  by  the  American  Council  on  Education (ACE),  this  publication  is  referred  to  as  the  ACE Guide.  You can request a copy through DANTES.  The ACE  Guide  provides  credit  recommendations  for various  service  schools,  all  ratings,  LDO/CWO specialties, and certain NECs.  Navy College Offices have  copies  of  the  ACE  Guide.  Although  the  ACE Guide  recommends  credit,  it  cannot  guarantee  the amount of credit civilian educational institutions will grant.  Neither the Navy nor ACE can award academic credit.    Only  the  educational  institution  can  grant academic credit for military training/experience as it relates to the student’s degree program. Beginning in FY00 the Sailor/Marine Corps ACE Registry Transcript (SMART) will be available.  It lists the military courses the service member has taken and the  ACE  recommended  credits  (if  any)  for  those courses,  as  well  as  the  recommended  credits  for  the member’s Navy rating.  It  also contains information on any DANTES tests the member has taken for college credit (CLEPs, DSSTs,ACT-PEPs,RCEs), and a list of other college courses taken by the individual while on active duty.  An unofficial copy of the transcript can be sent directly to the member or, upon request, an official transcript can be sent to the educational institution the member is attending. SMART is produced by the Naval Education and Training Professional Development and Technology Center in Pensacola, Florida.   Until the SMART transcript becomes available, or if  the  transcript  is  not  all  inclusive,  the  ESO  or  the custodian of military records can help members prepare an  Application  for  the  Evaluation  of  Learning Experiences  During  Military  Service,  DD  Form  295, available from a Navy College Office.  After applicants complete this form,  they must submit it to the school from which they are seeking credit.  The ESO/custodian verifies all course titles, course identification numbers (CINs),  and  course  locations.  Navy  College  Office counselors  verify  the  ACE  Guide  course  or occupational  identification  number  and  sign  the  first page of the form.  The importance of complete, accurate information on this form cannot be overemphasized. Q4.    Who  can  grant  academic  credit  for  military experience? Q5.   ESOs  should  refer  to  what  publication  for  a listing  of  credit  recommendations  for  various service schools and ratings? Q6.    For  the  evaluation  of  learning  experiences during  military  service,  what  form  should  an applicant complete? 2-3

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc. - A (SDVOSB) Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business