Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make your Home Page

Page Title: Miscellaneous Travel Information
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



receipt  of  orders,  and  (2)  you  have  reported  to  your new   duty   station   and   your   orders   are   endorsed accordingly.   If your orders are modified or canceled after    the    commencement    of    travel    by    your dependents,  consult  your  disbursing  officer.    When dependents travel on TRs or by government vehicle, certain   miscellaneous   expenses   are   reimbursable, such  as  taxi  fares  and  tips  for  baggage  handling  at terminals.  Mileage rates for dependents vary. The  dependency  must  exist  on  the  effective date  of  the  orders  directing  permanent  change  of station.    That  is  an  important  point  to  remember  for those ensigns who plan to be married while on leave after graduation. An  officer  ordered  to  unusually  arduous  sea duty is entitled to transportation of dependents from the  last  permanent  duty  station  to  any  designated place in CONUS or a location outside CONUS.   (See SECNAVINST   4650.19   for   a   listing   and   an explanation   of   unusually   arduous   sea   duty.) Transportation   of   dependents   in   such   cases   is authorized  by  CHNAVPERS  (PERS-332)  acting  for the Secretary of the Navy. MISCELLANEOUS TRAVEL INFORMATION Listed  below  are  some  miscellaneous  travel  tips that might be helpful to you: Commercial    airlines    sometimes    offer reduced-fare  travel  to  military  personnel.    Although each  airline  may  have  its  own  rules,  the  following rules usually apply: 1.   You may travel in civilian clothes. 2.   You must show your identification card. 3.   The  airline  may  ask  you  to  sign  a  statement saying your travel is at personal expense. You  should  use  reduced-fare  travel  only  for nonreimbursable    travel. For    example,    use reduced-fare  travel  for  leave  but  not  for  permanent change of station or temporary additional duty. The  term  privately  owned  conveyance  (POC) describes   any   means   of   transportation,   such   as automobile,  boat,  or  plane,  that  is  not  a  government vehicle or common carrier. You  get  the  same  number  of  travel  days  for travel by either bus or train (commercial surface). You  do  not  get  travel  time  between  points  in the same corporate limits.  However, you get at least 1 day of travel for permanent change of station between stations  in  different  towns.    For  example,  you  get  1 day  for  travel  between  Baltimore  and  Washington, D.C.,  by  train,  air,  bus,  or  auto  even  though  the  trip takes only an hour and the distance is only about 40 miles. You can find official highway distances in the Official Table of Distances, NAVSO P-2471; or you can get them from your transportation office. If  you  are  near  a  naval  air  station  or  an  Air Force   base,   military   air   transportation   might   be available on a space available, first-come-first-served basis.   You should call the flight operations office for schedules. On   Military   Airlift   Command   (MAC) flights, you might have to travel in the uniform of the day. Also  be  prepared  to  provide  a  copy  of  your orders or leave papers. Many   booklets   are   available   that   have information  on  military  travel  and  accommodation. One good booklet is the  Military Travel Guide  sold in most military exchanges.    (This guide is not a DOD publication.) While   performing   reimbursable   travel,   you should keep a travel voucher (DD-Form 1351-2) in a running  format  to  ease  reconstruction  at  the  time  of filing  your  travel  claim. After  you  complete  your travel, you have 15 days to file the DD 1351-2 with your local disbursing officer. TEMPORARY LODGING ALLOWANCE Should   you   receive   orders   to   an   overseas installation,  you  might  be  eligible  for  a  temporary lodging   allowance   (TLA). A  temporary   lodging allowance   partially   reimburses   a   member   at   an overseas   duty   station   for   above-average   expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodgings.   It also partially reimburses a member for meals obtained as a direct result of the use of such lodgings lacking the   facilities   for   preparing   meals. Ask   your disbursing officer for full details. 2-12

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc. - A (SDVOSB) Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business